This Data Privacy Protection Policy informs you about the school’s policy regarding the information that we collect, use or process with respect to your personal data. If you are a parent/guardian of a student who is a minor (below 18 years old), note that this Policy refers to the personal data of your child/ward.
We, Sacred Heart College of Lucena City, Inc., as an academic institution with a mission to offer quality education, respect your right, or your child’s/ward’s, to data privacy. In compliance with the requirements of relevant data privacy and data protection laws, in particular RA 10173, otherwise known as the Data Privacy Act of 2012, we strive to achieve a balance between your personal privacy and the need for free flow of information, particularly when pursuing our legitimate interests and carrying out our responsibilities as an academic institution.
In this Policy, the terms “data” and “information” will be used interchangeably. Thus, when we speak of “personal data”, the term includes the concepts of personal information, sensitive information and privileged information. Personal information and sensitive information pertain to information that are commonly used to distinctively identify you or your child/ward. For their exact definitions, you may refer to the text of the Data Privacy Act of 2012. While this Policy uses examples in simple and clear language, they do not form a comprehensive list of all the data that we process.
DATA PRIVACY PROTECTION POLICY
The purpose of this data privacy protection policy is twofold: first, it aims to explain how we, as an academic institution and personal information controller (PIC), will use your, or your child’s/ward’s, personal data, and second, to explain your rights, or your child’s/ward’s, under relevant data protection laws.
It is important that you read this policy prior to providing your, or your child’s/ward’s, information.
WHO WILL PROCESS YOUR, OR YOUR CHILD’S/WARD’S, PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Sacred Heart College of Lucena City, Inc. is the organization responsible for your, or your child’s/ward’s, personal data in terms of relevant data protection laws. This makes SHC a Personal Information Controller (PIC).
If you have any questions regarding the use of your, or your child’s/ward’s, personal data or data privacy rights, please contact the school’s Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHAT INFORMATION DOES SHC COLLECT, ACQUIRE OR GENERATE?
As the PIC, SHC will collect, acquire or generate your, or your child’s/ward’s, personal data in various forms. These data may be in the form of written records, photographic and video images as well as digital material. Examples include, but not limited to the following:
a. Information you provide during application for admission. When you, or your child/ward apply at Sacred Heart College of Lucena City, Inc. for admission, we collect, among others, (i) directory information, such as your name, e-mail address and contact details; (ii) personal information, such as family background, history, previous schools attended, academic performance, disciplinary record and health records; and (iii) any or all information obtained through interviews and/or during entrance or admission exams via the relevant offices (Guidance, Registrar or Finance Offices).
b. Information we collect or generate after enrollment and during the course of study with us. During your time with us at SHC, we may also continue to collect additional information about you, or your child/ward, such as: (i) academic undertakings including enrolled classes, academic performance and attendance records; (ii) co-curricular engagements, such as community and outreach programs (COP), immersion, internship or on-the-job training (OJT); (iii) extra-curricular activities, such as membership in student organizations, leadership positions, and participation and attendance in seminars, conferences and competitions; and (iv) any disciplinary incident that you, or your child/ward, may be involved in, including related sanctions. There will also be times when we will acquire other forms of data, such as pictures or videos of activities and events that you, or your child/ward, participate in via official documentation of such events or through recordings from closed-circuit security television (CCTV) cameras installed within the school premises.
c. Unsolicited Information. There may also be instances when your, or your child’s/ward’s, personal information is sent to or, received by, SHC even without our prior request. In such cases, we will determine if we can legitimately keep such information. If it is not related to any of our legitimate interests, we will immediately dispose of the information in a way that will protect your, or your child’s/ward’s, data privacy. Otherwise, it will be treated in the same manner as information you provide us with.
If you provide us with personal information of other individuals, such as, for example, of person(s) to contact in case of an emergency, we will request you to certify that you have obtained the consent of such individuals before providing us with their data.
HOW DOES SHC USE YOUR, OR YOUR CHILD’S/WARD’S, INFORMATION?
To the extent permitted or required by law, we will use your, or your child’s/ward’s, personal data in order to pursue our legitimate interests as an academic institution, such as for academic, administrative, research, record and statistical purposes. We may use the information we collect for the following purposes:
- evaluating applications for entry into Sacred Heart College of Lucena City, Inc.;
- processing information of incoming students and transferees in preparation for enrollment;
- recording, generating and maintaining records of students’ academic, co-curricular and extra-curricular performance;
- evaluating, recording and storing student work, such as homework, quizzes, tests, reflection papers, essays, presentations, reports, exams, theses and culminating projects;
- recording, generating and maintaining records, manually or electronically, of students’ grades, academic history, class schedules, attendance and participation in curricular, co-curricular and extra-curricular activities;
- establishing and maintaining student information systems;
- sharing of grades between and among faculty members and other legitimate school officials for academic deliberations and evaluation of student performance;
- processing scholarship applications, grants, allowances, reports to benefactors and other forms of financial assistance;
- investigating incidents relating to student discipline and behavior and relevant actions;
- maintaining directories and alumni records;
- compiling and generating reports for statistical and research purposes;
- providing services such as health, insurance, counselling, information technology, library, sports, safety and security;
- managing and controlling access to school facilities and equipment;
- communicating official school announcements;
- sharing marketing and promotional materials regarding school-related functions, events and activities;
- soliciting your support, financial or otherwise, for school programs, events and activities; and
- sharing your information with persons or institutions as mentioned in the following section.
The processing of your, or your child’s/ward’s, personal data for the above purposes are deemed necessary in order for us to perform our contractual obligations to you as an academic institution. Further, data-processing is needed for our compliance with legal obligations, to protect your interests, including your, or your child’s/ward’s, health and safety, to perform our tasks in the public interest, such as order and safety, or to pursue our legitimate interests as an academic service provider.
We understand that the Data Protection Act of 2012 imposes stricter rules for the processing of sensitive personal information and privileged information. Rest assured that we are fully committed to abiding by those rules.
If we require your consent for any specific use of your, or your child’s/ward’s, personal data, we will collect it at the appropriate time using the appropriate channels.
HOW DOES SHC SHARE, DISCLOSE OR TRANSFER YOUR, OR YOUR CHILD’S/WARD’S INFORMATION?
To the extent permitted or required by law, we may also share, disclose or transfer your, or your child’s/ward’s, personal data to other persons or organizations in order to uphold your interests and/or pursue our legitimate interests as an academic institution. We may share, disclose or transfer personal data for the following purposes:
- posting of acceptance to the school, awarding of financial assistance and scholarship grants, class lists, class schedules, bulletin boards and other places within the school premises;
- sharing of your personal data with your parents, guardians or next of kin, as required by law, or on a need-to-know basis, as determined by the school, in order to promote your, or your child’s/ward’s, best interests, or to protect your health, safety and security, or those of others;
- sharing of information to donors or benefactors for the purposes of scholarship grants (ex. CHED Tulong Dunong, Serbisyong Suarez, etc.) and other forms of assistance;
- distribution of the list of graduates and awardees in preparation for, and during, commencement exercises;
- reporting and/or disclosure of information to the National Privacy Commission (NPC) and other government bodies or agencies (ex. CHED, DepEd, CSC, PRC, etc.) when required or permitted by law;
- sharing of information with entities or organizations (ex. PAASCU, etc.) for accreditation and college ranking purposes;
- sharing of information with entities or organizations (ex. PRISAA and other sports bodies) for determining eligibility in sports or academic competitions, as well as other similar events;
- complying with legal obligations;
- conducting internal research or surveys for institutional development;
- publishing academic, co-curricular and extra-curricular achievements, including honors’ list and names of awardees in school bulletin boards, website, social media sites and publications;
- sharing your academic accomplishments or honors and co-curricular or extra-curricular achievements with schools you, or your child/ward, graduated from or were previously enrolled in, upon their request;
- using your, or your child’s/ward’s, photos, videos and other information in order to promote the school, including its activities and events, through advertising or promotional materials, such as tarpaulins, web posts, newspaper advertisements, physical and electronic bulletin boards, radio and other media;
- live-streaming of school events;
- publication of communications with journalistic content, such as news information in school publications and social media sites; and
- providing information such as class lists and photos to partner hospitals, local health centers, partner communities and other similar organizations, such as in the case of college students who rotate in these institutions as part of the curriculum.
HOW DOES SHC STORE AND RETAIN YOUR, OR YOUR CHILD’S/WARD’S, INFORMATION?
Your, or your child’s/ward’s, personal data are stored and transmitted securely in various paper and electronic formats, including databases that are shared between the school’s different units or offices. Access to your personal data is limited only to school personnel who have a legitimate interest in them for the purpose of carrying out their contractual duties. Rest assured that our use of your personal data, or your child’s/ward’s, will not be excessive.
Unless otherwise provided by law or by relevant school policies, we will retain your, or your child’s/ward’s, relevant personal data indefinitely for record and statistical purposes. Where a retention period is provided by law and/or a school policy, all affected records will be securely disposed of after such a period.
WHAT ARE YOUR RIGHTS WITH RESPECT TO YOUR, OR YOUR CHILD’S/WARD’S, PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We recognize your rights with respect to your, or your child’s/ward’s, personal data, as provided by the Data Protection Act of 2012. If you wish to exercise any of your rights, or should you have a concern or question regarding them, this Data Privacy Protection Policy, or any matter involving the school and data privacy, you may contact the Data Protection Office (DPO) at email@example.com.
STATUS OF THIS DOCUMENT
This document has been reviewed and approved by the School President and will be reviewed annually.
CHANGES TO THIS DATA PRIVACY PROTECTION POLICY
We may, from time to time, make changes to this Policy. On such occasions, we will inform you through the school website at https://www.shc.edu.ph and, when permissible, other means of communication. Any modification is effective immediately upon posting on the website.
OTHER SCHOOL POLICIES
Other policies of Sacred Heart College of Lucena City, Inc., which are not inconsistent with this Data Privacy Protection Policy, will continue to apply. If any provision of this Policy is found to be invalid by any court having competent jurisdiction, the invalidity of such provision will not affect the validity of the other provisions, which shall remain in full force and effect.
Data Protection Office
Sacred Heart College of Lucena City, Inc.
1 Merchan Street
Lucena City, Quezon 4301
To find out more about data protection and your rights pertaining to such, you may visit:
- The National Privacy Commission website on RA 10173 – Data Privacy Act of 2012 at: https://www.privacy.gov.ph/data-privacy-act/
- The National Privacy Commission website on the Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR) of RA 10173 at: https://www.privacy.gov.ph/implementing-rules-and-regulations-of-republic-act-no-10173-known-as-the-data-privacy-act-of-2012/
- University of Strathclyde Glasgow, “Data protection Privacy notices”. Retrieved from https://www.strath.ac.uk/whystrathclyde/universitygovernance/accesstoinformation/dataprotection/privacynotices/ on Oct 22, 2020.